Thursday, June 8, 2017

Sherbrooke city in May springs forth crocuses, lilies, tulips and lilacs. I pinched a lilac off a branch walking past a tree on Ball street heading home, smelling it along the way. I placed it in a slender vase setting it on a table next to my arm chair. The smell filled my nostrils for the first couple of days, after that I had to lean in closer and sniff in the smell, until finally it was faded and finished, ready for the recycle bin. In my landlords back yard there is a tree that blooms 
 and there's another lilac tree as you leave the property via the driveway. 
My favorite sound in the world to wake up to are the birds singing in a chirping song at about 3:30 am and is in full force by 4:30 am, it brightens up my morning start and it makes me feel glad to greet it. 
In the third week of May it livens up for a spurt as the streets fill up with University students that have been attending all year long the University of Sherbrooke. This particular night they chose my street to gather on. Their exams have been taken or nearly all but finished and now they are celebrating in droves. Chanting songs and slogans, that sound like they belong to some professional sports team or it could be frat houses as there is clapping and cheering too at the end of the chants. As they continued on walking past my home letting off some steam together, they stood for a couple of hours in the same spot, I could hear them reminiscing, as some will be saying their goodbyes for the summer or their off on a new adventure to parts unknown as they start off a   brand new life.  Apartment signs are up as vacancies open attracting students to their buildings. My Kitchen window and living room window face the building alongside a house and an apartment building that gives me a bird’s eye view right into the neighbor’s kitchen that is clearly empty now, I try not to look over but like flies attracted to the light when I walk through my kitchen and see their light on I can see all the goings on like a voyeur, I can’t seem to help myself. So to help us out I placed a large geranium plant that blooms loads of flowers to help cover up my window view of the neighbors business but I can still see in as enter into the kitchen heading towards the window to enter into my living room on the right side of it;with the large plant hanging there the neighbor can no longer notice me noticing them. Works for me...
I like to take long soaks in the bath on the weekend. I used to take it around the day and time that CBC radio’s Stewart McLean’s Vinyl CafĂ© show would play, sadly this year we lost a great Canadian icon as he passed away of melanoma at a young age. I would lean back on to the tub's pillow and listen to his story telling and then he would introduce the singer or band he’d chosen to play between sets that were of Canadian content and so I got to hear new material all the time that normally I would never hear of, as they most likely wouldn't make it on to mainstream radio; that’s what I love about CBC radio, they have a music station of only Canadian content. There is one Stewart McLean's story that he wrote about how men with tools are brought together in harmony, and camaraderie, there’s excitability in the air, expertise flowing in the wind, no one really invited them over  they just knew to come and then word would eventually spread for a call out for certain tools or expertise. This is exactly what I witnessed with my neighbor, living in the house that I can see from kitchen/living room windows. Minus the catastrophes that Stewart McLean's characters experienced in his story telling, it appeared to be going quite well. 
The noise from the machinery is what first caught my attention, as I looked out I saw men about with tools, some with shirts on and some shirts off; a table set out with people sitting on chairs and some milling about drinking beer and tea/coffee was being served, they were the cheerful and chatty audience as they watched on those that could do. Even my landlord was over there helping out putting up the new siding to the house yesterday, he hadn't helped out much until now, when his wife returned after being three months away to her native land of I don’t remember where. 
He hadn't much left his home and now he found reasons to leave it every day I see him out there busying himself once again. 
 The other day I had to borrow his cell phone as I had noticed I couldn't call out. And now my internet was down too. I was an hour with the company it took 24 hours or so for them to fix the phone line and I with the guidance of the tech fixed the internet. So I called my birth mother, whom I found 4 years ago and checked in; she told me she had been trying to reach me for 15 days, which explains why my 'Mother’s day' was so darn quiet. She said to me she was considering a call to the police as the busy signal on my phone for those many days was becoming a growing concern to her and her life partner. I'd been that busy I hadn't noticed, but it was beginning to sink in that it had been awfully quiet lately. If the Irish luck stays with me, I assured her that her number and my daughter’s number are my ICE contacts. (ICE in case of emergency).
 My garden pots have all been seeded and some greenery is sprouting up. A squirrel, like every year, attempted to dig its paws into my pots, but the soil was wet and I topped them all up with manure and so only two tomato seedlings were dug up as the heaviness of the soil dissuaded the squirrel’s attempts to dig on and off it went discouraged. I repositioned the offended tomatoes seedlings and in hopes that they all have a chance to sprout before one of the other squirrels come up looking for something they think they might of stuck in one my pots during the winter time.
I walked down King street East to fetch some potted flowers to add to my tables to get the colorful bloom-age started. I huffed and puffed my way back up the mountain with my loaded up black leather knapsack full of groceries too from items on special. I had to stop 3 times to rest I was so over loaded with weight on me. Cans of Marley's food were on special so I loaded up on those too. My arms carried bags on each shoulder full of small flower pots. As I climbed up the mountain of King street West. On my last leg of resting on the side walks bench, I met a nice lady and we chatted in French, about what the challenges of living in Sherbrooke city can be, especially if you want to go biking; turns out she works for the city of Sherbrooke and had an appointment to go to on my street so she kept me company as we walked along that way together.
I placed a box under one of the tables added some covering in there so that Marley could join me outdoors as she runs to the door anyway; so I lifted up and pinned up one side of the plastic covering so she can see the going on's, on that side only, but kept the other side down as that is the view of the bird feeders and she is clearly a predator.
On facebook I have inspirational messages scroll on my feed and one read out something along the lines of ‘one day I’d like to wake up and see all the news outlets tell stories of only peace throughout the world.’
It reminded me of a song I wrote back in 2009 about all the suffering in this world that we are bombarded with on a daily bases on how damaged our world has truly become. As much as I would like to bury my head in the sand and not hear or read any more of the hurt, pain and suffering of souls caused by nature or monsters.  I realize it would be impossible to do. Eventually someone would tell me something.

Call Out for Help written by © LeeMarie
Blessed are we for the food we eat
the clothes we get to keep
A place to call home where we can sleep
And I wonder...
What’s going on with the world today?
It’s not necessarily a better place.
There’s still people suffering across the ways.
Then there are others who won’t share the same space.
We’re still using steel and arms to settle our disputes.
We’ll always have monsters who need to prey on the weak.
Now the earth is spilling over with souls 
who stood up for justice and peace.
And they bleed and they bleed 
and they bleed and they bleed.
Bellies are rumbling,
 ignorance is spreading, further out of our reach.
Children are dying, losing their limbs,
 women are crying out in pain every week.
Everyone is scurrying looking for relief, 
at the break of dawn the madness just repeats.
And they bleed and they bleed 
and they bleed and they bleed.
We’re still waiting for the healing to start, 
where everyone is equal and given a proper start.
When we don’t see each other with labels
 rising faster than the snow falls.
Can’t we think of others’ as well as ourselves?
Those rose colored glasses are fashionable out of style.
The call out for help has been sounded for a while.
And they bleed and they bleed 
and they bleed and they bleed.
Blessed are we for the food we eat
the clothes we get to keep
A place to call home where we can sleep
And I wonder…
 Here is the video from 2009  if you care to listen to it sung in a Capella style.

When I was growing up, I’d say it was somewhat a sheltered life, not so much an ivory tower, but pretty tightly wound. The only advice my adopted mother gave me when I had to take the bus into town to attend a private school run by gray nuns in Morpeth, Northumberland, England. I must have been 11 years old; was not to sit or talk to any man with long hair, they carry lice. Why? I am not sure, but I looked at them with curiosity more than concern or fear. Considering that we were the generation of children who were sent out doors to play all day and the parents had no real clue as to what we were up to while being away from them, it seemed strange that they would stand in judgment of others and volunteer an opinion. But what did I understand about adults? My adoptive brother and I after school and sometimes on weekends often would play tennis on our street, somewhat in front of our house. Our house was semi d attached built on a semi circle street. Past the semi  attached were the duo garages and then another neighbor’s house that followed along the circle onto another house. But in-between those two there was a gate, that lead to some stairs that took us to a back road that led us to open fields, hills and trees. We often used that path to go play and have fun around in the fields touching the high seeded like foliage that lead us to the hills to roll down on. I'd hug the trees run my fingers along the bark and like a pole dancer holding on to the tree danced around it scraping my hands along the bark as I sang some made up songs. 
Well, the owner of that gate and stairs was the first neighbor past our garages; was slowly getting fed up of us using that crossing and our tennis balls falling on to his yard and seeing us going over and picking them up. So, one day he put up a barb wire fence to keep us all completely off his land . But sure enough, one our tennis balls fell into his yard and I, one day, wearing a red wind breaker, reached in between the barb wire to retrieve the ball and while pulling my arm back out the barb wire caught my jacket and I kept tugging at it until the wire let me go. Returning with the tennis ball we continued our game of tennis; which is when I noticed as I swung my tennis racket a certain angel my jacket sleeve rose up revealing a very deep gash caused by the barb wire.  I was bleeding and I could clearly see the inside of my wrist. Screaming in shock and horror, my wrist now decidedly throbbing I raced home to show my adoptive mother, who was more disturbed by my screaming than my wound. She had me run it under cold water then we sped me off.. The nice doctor sewed me up after freezing my wrist and several stitches later I was mended. I now wear my scar like a badge of honor; for the next day the neighbor felt so bad he took the barb wire fence down from his yard and let us use his gate to other side any time we wanted. Score one for the little guys.





I just recently heard from my adoptive brother, which shocked me, to be honest. You see, our old neighbor had called me to check in with me as we do with each other for years now. She's a retired school teacher from John Abbott. Her husband used to try and reason with my adoptive mother to stop what ever she was doing as they clearly heard me screaming out in pain all the time. I had been their neighbor since I was thirteen years old, returned back from England we found a house next to theirs and we kept in touch even after I had moved away.  She's in her 80's now and the way she told the story I thought it was so very a recent event. She told me she read that my adoptive father had died and hadn't she told me this before? I took it as then and not in 2012,  when we actually speaking of it , it was 2015, three years later I hear about this. I searched for the obituary. I went into my kitchen first, a little stunned at the news and opened my fridge door and spied some beer and I took one out, which was my first mistake. I sat at my table drinking it as I tried to digest the news and how was I suppose to take it. My last memory of him clearly flooded back to when I last saw him I was fifteen, suitcase in my hand he stood at the door way,  a tear trickled down his face, his blue eyes had swelled up and he said to me, " we weren't good enough for you? you had to bring an outsider, a stranger, (he spat out the words, he sounded like he was scoffing as he said them) a 'social worker', into our home to deal with our family problems and now you've broken up our family; your mother hasn't gotten out of bed for two days as result of all this. You can never come back here, once you leave, do you understand me?"       I stood stone faced as he said this to me, I couldn't comprehend his words, they weren't penetrating, my shoulders felt heavy as he slammed the door behind me and I walked on to a new life without them all. My poor adoptive brother had been banned from speaking to me as we often saw each other on the city bus; the group home was only about 9 blocks away from where we last shared a home together. So now being 2015 this passive aggressive man who stood that day before me was gone from this world and I didn't know what it was suppose to mean to me. I searched for his obituary and saw that it was 2012 August, the date of my daughter's birthday of all dates and that no one had thought to tell me this, which oddly disturbed me. It read that he was born in 1925 and he leaves behind his beloved wife of 60 years and it mentioned my adoptive brother and his family. I was not mentioned in the obituary of course that should not come as a surprise. What I did next as the beer buzz took effect and my emotions and anxieties were running high was I searched for my adoptive brother on Facebook and found him. Sent him a message that wasn't that friendly as I hadn't forgotten what he last said to me when we found each other again back in 1988; was that all the things that happened to me in our house was of my own making and that I deserved all the abuse and maltreatment that I got and then, he dumped me, stating he wanted nothing further to do with me when I didn't react well to his statement after trying to discuss the going on's in the first place. He preferred to live in denial.. So my screw you attitude towards him reflected in those messages that I left him on facebook. This year, last month, he wrote to one of my email addresses and told me that he just received my messages from Facebook and that he was in Saudi Arabia and the messages must of been blocked. He hadn't taken kindly to my messages demonstrated by the fact that he copy pasted them into his message. He wished me happiness and told me to move on. He is in love, after his divorce from the mother of his two children, one of them named after him as our adoptive father did to him; so the tradition lives on. He wanted to spread the news of his happiness, he indicated that our adoptive mother was still alive and still living in the West Island is what I presume. I didn't quite apologize for the way I wrote to him but did offer an explanation of the unfortunate events that took place and that I truly don't have a high regard for him for his ignorance to what transpired in our home which was cruel in it's depravity and he enabled the behavior as an adult. He wrote back stating that he either blocked the memories of our child hood or he has a memory problem. 
My reply to that was how fortunate for him and sad at the same time. He gets to miss the messy bits as well as the great bits. I reminded his of something, when at fifteen I had a hunting rifle aimed at my head while at our cottage in Lac Castor; I was playing with pebbles enjoying the pinning sound it made against the other pebbles as they struck and landed, bored, nothing to do unless it was assigned to me, I entertained myself. After being ordered to stop, I still had a few left in my hand before I could comply. I happened to look up at my adoptive parents window and watched as my adoptive mother stood there, rifle in hand, she was mapping out my demise and where my body would be buried and the joys of no one missing me; her plan was to help the world rid them of one less gutter child and planned to place me back there where she found me or pulled me out of, (spewed nonsense). 'Besides the neighbors are sick of hearing your screaming, echoing around the lake'; ( maybe if she stopped beating me with wooden branches they would hear screams of laughter and play like sounds they should of been hearing). She said,' the neighbors think you are mentally ill, did you know?'. (gee thanks)  I remember standing there calmly, wishing she wouldn't miss my head with the bullet so that it would end my misery once and for all. I said a word I heard the other school kids say, that I didn't understand it's meaning, but instinctively knew it fitted this situation and I said to her.  'You are a bastard'. She laughed, mocking me and said, ' I'm a bastard, no, you are the bastard's child, a child no one wanted. I took you in, your dress was dirty and tattered I had to wash it and give it back, you're shoes were to small for your feet. Your father and mother deserted you, they didn't want you. I felt sorry for you, I offered you a home, all you have to do is, do as you are told, I own you, you speak when I tell you to speak, you move when I tell you to move, but you just don't get it, over and over again I tell you, but you just don't listen'. I told her in retaliation, my feelings hurt and my brain burning with anger, ' go ahead just do it, just pull the trigger, end it now, do what you have to do'. My adoptive mother walked away exasperated with me. I stood there still alive, for more of this miserable life to continue. I kicked over the large soup mug that had milk in it and an unstirred whole egg sitting on the bottom. It had been sitting there for hours now, by my tent, and I wasn't going to drink it. One sip of that I knew I didn't like it. It was right up there with the hot mustard sandwiches she gave, that had me standing at the kitchen counter for hours at an end back in Montreal west; until she went to bed sent me off to do the same; and it was still sitting there, waiting for me the next morning. I was growing more stubborn and I was digging in my heels in defiance. I was losing a lot of weight and my skin was peeling between my fingers and toes from malnutrition.  She had to feed me, she said, they didn't say what she had to feed me. 
I wrote in that last note to my adoptive brother to remind him of our fun times when we were at play together the only fun time to speak off until I turned thirteen, then there were no more fun times together in that new house in Montreal West. I didn't write it in as much detail as I wished but this is the revised version, as now more thought was put into it. 
While in Rosemere the stories of us exploring outside, the skiing and tobogganing at the side of house there was hill, we lived on a dead end street that had signs of construction for more roads in the back of us. We would walk through the huge gray cylinders playing in them. Our road crossed into a field and we would skate on the natures natural ice ponds; we spent all day out until it was dark and we even had a swing set in the back yard.  In England when we weren't building colorful card board houses that we got as a joint Christmas present and sleeping in them, we camped in a tent in the back yard; we played with the neighborhood kids and built snow forts and had snowball wars, played king of the castle on gravel tops. You went to scouts right next door in a small wooden hut; I could hear all your chants and stomping of feet from my bedroom. We walk for hours in fields and forests, playing with sword fights, from swords we carved ourselves as well as bow and arrows, reenacting the history we learnt from books in our way. You and I would build train tracks and would watch the trains go 'round as well as car racing tracks ( hot rods I think the cars were called); you were always working on your soldiers and painting them, and building airplanes. You enjoyed your solitary moments as you were more of an introvert like me, when we were spent of company we would retreat to our own rooms and work on our own things. I believe it has more to do with our birth signs as we are a week apart in birthdays. I was always drawing, or reading, playing dress up with barbies or working on crafts, building on a bright light. crocheting, looming, needle working and such. We had a can with string and we would pretend to be talking on them from our bedrooms, we had quite the imagination.   
 I haven't heard from my adoptive brother since I wrote the note of memory lane; but that doesn't surprise me. One thing that I found creepy that he wrote in his notes was that he sees that I was searching for my birth parents and wished me luck in finding them. I asked him how he knew that and he indicated that it was the internet search that told him so. I am thinking there is more to this story. When he was in the Royal Navy Donnacona and needed security clearance on top classified information of some kind. I was included in that security research so they basically knew what I was up to. There's no such thing as privacy anymore. I never told him I found my birth mother I decided it was none of his concern, what are we to each other now, other than titles of used to be.

Change your mind written by © LeeMarie
Take my hand in yours for a while
We’ll go chasing rainbows in the sky
Counting colors, all the while.
Sit on white sandy beach
Watching the sail boasts pass on by
Lazily counting, all the flags, way up high.
There’s so much sadness all around us
Sometimes you just gotta go catch a butterfly
To change your mind
 from the things that plague you in the night;
Trying to solve things, all the time.
Travel to a warm summer day
Not a cloud in the sky
Your arms wide open faith is a bound.
The divine the divine it’s all around
Open your eyes see the design for you
Take pleasure in it too.
The bells tolls you’re getting a little older
Things haven’t always gone your way
You’re still finding ways to escape
Travel in your mind, see a Picasso
Even a mine, have a glass of wine
 mm mine tastes fine.
Climb the highest mountain
Cross the longest field;
Sing a song or two
Dance to some rhythm and rhyme.
Sometimes you just gotta go catch a butterfly (Repeats to the begining) 
Change your mind
Sometimes you just gotta go catch a butterfly
Change your mind
Sometimes you just gotta go catch a butterfly
 Here's a video of this song sung in a Capella style images of Dorval 2010
I checked on my garden, it had been raining none stop, the sun is out now for the second day; the peas are blooming high, the tomatoes seedlings look strong, the basil is sprouting as well as the radishes, the lettuces, chives. Then there are these purple like beans, my birth mum gave me; that grow tall and plentiful in leaves, that produce flowers orange in color while sprouting long thick green beans that are used from the seeds inside to grow a new crop next year. Sadly, no sign from the zucchini nor the cucumbers seeds, it's been almost 3 weeks since I planted them, so I added seeds again today. If it doesn't take I will fill the pots with flowers from Maxi's. Those plastic multipurpose strips that have grit to attach them selves to and or add to another are fantastic as a tool. I attached my laundry hoses with them. The other day I used them to attach two of my rectangular flower pots one with basil growing in it on to my gate leading off the stairs to enter my balcony. I did it with another and attached it to the balcony railing giving my floor more room; it was so easy to do, it so secure it isn't likely to fall down.
Early in the morning or after 5:pm is the only time these days the silence of being outdoors is appreciated. Last year and this year construction has been none stop. Last year they tore up our street to put new pipes in and now its the street over. Twice we were evacuated for a gas pipe hit and now yesterday they evacuated the street over for the same reason. I could smell it as I quickly dressed and readied myself for the possibility that I would have to find Marley and shove her unwillingly in her carry on box and leave the premises. I saw the fire men evacuate the elderly home not far from my view and after being informed that I was not included in having to leave my home. I decided to go to the corner depanneur to buy my self a beer; I had been sweating all day from cleaning windows and placing one of my air conditioners in the window preparing for a heat wave coming and being on the third floor it surely rises. I passed all the elderly folks, and other neighbors, some holding their cats and dogs, that had been evacuated; spying all the firemen, paramedics, police officers, media crew with their cameras. I noticed buses parked on the side of road along with all the emergency crew vehicles, workmen, it was a sea of men a feast for the eyes if you are into checking them out, like I am. I had music playing in my ears from my ear buds and the wind was blowing the warm sun on my exposed arms, legs and face; I wore a colorful summery dress with an ankle bracelet that I made, my hair slicked back that I twisted up in the back, a little rouge on my lips and flip flops. I headed to my destination in search of a refreshment to go with the day. I had visions of me out on my balcony chilling. When I returned the crew of workers were still about with their vans, buses and such but no people even though the street was still closed off. They must of been in the buses parked close by, I hadn't thought to look inside I was to focused on the workers, paramedics uniforms and  firemen clothing, how hot they must be inside. As soon as I sat outside, Marley in her box under the table, the construction noise started up again, they must of solved the gas problem. To my dismay I had no peace, and another hour to go before I would get it.
When I lived in Dorval almost 7 years ago now. One night the gas station across the street was on fire, it was horrific and large explosions occurred. My neighbor and I bumped into each other in the hallway and she invited me inside as she had the better view; we stood there as we watched horrified and nervous, we didn't know if we should leave our homes. The land was finally sold off and these large condos were built up covering the view of the lake for the apartment building behind it, which must of peeved them all off to no end, to now be facing an over priced brand new building in its stead. With all the construction noise I am having to hear again this summer a song I wrote about all the construction noise been heard when they were building those condos in Dorval; reminded me that I had recorded it and filmed that building being built. here it is.

Every Morning Clang,Clang written  ©LeeMarie
Every morning, every morning bang, bang
Every morning, every morning clang, clang
It sounds familiar, it’s not that warming
All this construction, going on every morning.
I missed the sound of the birds calling
 the day is starting,  the day is starting,
the day is starting ohhh.
Every morning, every morning boom, boom
Every morning, every morning clang, clang
It sounds familiar, it’s not that warming
This isn’t your typical morning glory story
And now their yelling to be heard
 yeah-ha, yeah-ha, yeah –ha
Every morning, every morning tap, tap
Every morning, every morning pow, pow
It sounds familiar, it’s not that warming
All this construction, going on every morning.
I miss the hums of the cars going by vroom, vroom, vroom
Every morning, every morning boom, boom
Every morning, every morning pong, pong
It sounds familiar, it’s not that warming
This isn’t your typical morning glory story
And now their yelling to be heard
 yeah-ha, yeah-ha, yeah –ha
Every morning, every morning bang, bang
Every morning, every morning pow, pow
It sounds familiar, it’s not that warming
All this construction, going on every morning.
I missed the sound of the birds calling
 the day is starting,  the day is starting,
the day is starting ohhh.
Every morning, every morning boom, boom
Every morning, every morning pong, pong
It sounds familiar, it’s not that warming
This isn’t your typical morning glory story
And now their yelling to be heard
 yeah-ha, yeah-ha, yeah –ha
Every morning, every morning boom, boom
Every morning, every morning bang, bang
Every morning, every morning dings
Every morning, every morning pow, pow
Every morning, every morning boom, boom
Every morning, every morning bang, bang
Every morning, every morning clang, clang
Every morning, every morning bang, bang                           
 Every morning, every morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTTs6dZ7uVQ
I have some work obligations to go fulfill now, not really motivated. I waited for the last minute to turn on the air conditioner it has now reached 26 Celsius in my office. I have a painting to finish, some footage to look over, and the remaining of my beer to finish off later on after 5:Pm when the construction has stopped. I had wanted to record some new songs I wrote but this second computer that I have doesn't have good recording sound so it may not be possible until I get a new one as my primary one died, sadly. Well this is me signing off for now.
Until next time... Stay active, steadfast and true to you
Cheers XO
https://society6.com/product/fanciful-day_print#s6-2845688p4a1v45

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time. Kind Regards LM