Monday, August 28, 2017

Sherbrooke city in August has brought us yo yo weather of thunderstorms, some heat and a full moon. The full moon has caused some residences to get into some loud mischief. While I was away, I had a friend from Trois Riviere staying in my home; who told me of the shanagin's happening around her at my place.  The University will be starting up shortly, so Sherbrooke city will be seeing a lot of young folks with backpacks once again. In the meantime there has been a lot partying going on and you can hear them whooping it up.              Hotel Wellington on Wellington south, of Sherbrooke city, has been scheduled for demolition, sadly. Joseph-Octave Gagné had Hôtel Wellington built in 1927. The businessman owned the South of Wellington Street building until his death in 1951 at the age of 71. He also owned a cigar business too, the ‘King Bee A’; as well as he sold ice, which he distributed with horse carriage in homes at a time when there was no refrigerators. Wellington Hotel was the most luxurious hotel in Sherbrooke: Joseph-Octave Gagné was one of the first French Canadians to be a millionaire in Sherbrooke. The City of Sherbrooke has dedicated a small 200-meter street in the Fleurimont borough to the founder of the Hôtel Wellington. Demolition of the Wellington Hotel a piece if history that has lost its vigor from its hay day; will stand no more in its grandeur. And only in pictures will its existence be a memory.                                        
I was walking along king street east the other day and noticed this Mural sign on the ground
So it had me looking for a painted mural on a building and the moment my eyes looked onto Wellington north I saw one                               
I decided to keep walking along Wellington north I had read there were musicians playing on the street and wanted to hear them play. But as I walked along it was clear that the rain chased them away. I did walk to the Sherbrooke's hotel de ville and saw that Raif Badawi's posters were still displaying as it was at the time I visited the Christmas Parade.
As I descended the stairs my eye caught the fall look of a maple leaf that made me feel a pang of sadness as I am not ready for summer to leave anytime soon. But the cold nights are starting to invite change into the next season.
I walked back and noticed the smallest car ever, could be the future, but looks so claustrophobic. Makes me wonder who would drive such a thing?
Last week when I got home from vacation, my friend who traveled over to cat sit and water my garden, extended her stay longer so we could pal around and catch up. I hadn't seen her in 2 years. We had walked over to see the Art project featuring artists on Wellington north and I put their works in a video format to share their pieces. 
https://youtu.be/cSZJ6pC-uFU 
On another occasion we walked through the hydro dam which is called Porte de la Gorge and I  made a video of our day and what we saw as we walked along the path. Which lead us to marche de la gare by the Lac des Nation. 
https://youtu.be/1mnBFcragu0  
We stopped in to the marche de la gare and had ice cream that they make on the premises. I chose the one with 5 different kinds of chocolate in it and boy was it ever delicious. It felt like 30 Celsius that day and so stopping into a place with air conditioning and something cool to enjoy was the perfect thing to do.  
We went back to my place and hung out on my balcony for a bit before my friend took off riding my bike.
 My garden is now in full bloom and looks healthy and happy as am I to be so blessed to look upon it every day. I started eating my cherry tomatoes and have had countless salads from the romaine lettuce leaves. 
This a very long bean, the seeds inside can be planted to grow the orange flower beans again the following year. You can eat the beans when they are small, I am waiting for some to grow a little bigger to try them.
my hanging flower boxes are doing well
 
                      
                      
                       
I picked my first zucchini and only one that grew from my garden.
My mum's garden though had my suitcase heavy with goodies to bring  home from her garden.
                     
There was a little visitor hanging around 
The sweetest dog came to stay for a few days and I wish I could of brought her home with me I so enjoyed her company.
                     
My trip consisted of lots of swimming in the pool, shopping, eating good food and drinking wine with plenty of stories to swap and laughter. As usual the vacation was never long enough. When I got  home I went on the hunt for a place to go swimming and I found a place to go to not far from where I live.
I took photographs on the bus ride to and from Montreal to Sherbrooke and made a little video of it https://youtu.be/JSs_uHk_2BI
I have dismantled three garden pots, the peas were finished, another kind of lettuce was finished. as well as the zucchini plants suddenly died so I only got the one as harvest this year. I planted some mint roots my mum's garden gave and hopefully they will come up next year so far they have been holding their own for now. I made this recipe with the zucchini I was given their were so large.
Zucchini Cheesy Bread
INGREDIENTS
3 medium zucchini
2 large eggs
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
3 c. shredded mozzarella, divided
1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan
1/4 c. cornstarch
kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
2 tsp. Freshly Chopped Parsley
Marinara, for dipping
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 425º and line a baking sheet with parchment. On a box grater or in a food processor, grate zucchini. Using cheesecloth or a dish towel, wring excess moisture out of zucchini.
Transfer zucchini to a large bowl with eggs, garlic, oregano, 1 cup mozzarella, Parmesan, and cornstarch and season with salt and pepper. Stir until completely combined.
Transfer “dough” to prepared baking sheet and pat into a crust. Bake until golden and dried out, 25 minutes.
Sprinkle with remaining 2 cups mozzarella, crushed red pepper flakes, and parsley and bake until cheese is melted, 8 to 10 minutes more.
Slice and serve with marinara.




The nights are getting colder and the birds are coming more often to feeder bulking up for what is to come

Even the pigeons are looking  for any seed droppings onto the grass below they can take advantage of; and the squirrels have taken to venture up to see if there are any goodies they can find like sunflower seeds they found lying on my table. So now I leave a container out for them in one of my empty flower pots.
I have brought in my geranium plants and my spices of garlic chives and Italian parsley in the living room as it is cold at night now. I rearranged my living room to add another table of plants and also swapped my bedroom around too and gave it a new look too, call it pre-fall cleaning and sorting. 
 Well that is it for now... until next time stay active, steadfast and true to  you. Cheers XO

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time. Kind Regards LM